Monday, February 02, 2009

On the Super Bowl

I actually watched a good majority of the game this year. Here are my random thoughts:

1. Everyone keeps saying how great a game it was - as if to say the entire game was fun and exciting. I think those people didn't see the first half...which was slow and boring. Second half was definitely a nail biter.

2. My hat is off to Kurt Warner. I love to see seasoned Qbacks able to keep up w/ the young guys. I felt sorry only for him when the Steelers won.

3. I chose to root for the Steelers. It's much less stressful if you don't really care who wins. I was happy the Steelers won, but if the Cardinals had...I would've been ok w/ that too. The reason I picked the Steelers: I think I just have a natural desire to see any team named 'Cardinals' lose.

4. The commercials were very entertaining. My top picks were the Doritos commercial and the Pepsi Max commercial. The former being my favorite. No matter how old I get I think the sight of some poor sap getting hit in the crotch will always make me laugh. I think Kevin Missel is the one who first stated that crotch shots never get old. When it happened last night, I was laughing very loudly and then looked around and realized I was the ONLY one laughing...maybe I was the only one paying attention.

5. Bruce Springsteen was really good. I was very pleased with his performance. How old is that guy now? Also, does Max Weinberg usually drum for him? Cool halftime show!

6. I think the Cardinals would've had a better shot at a win had they spent a little less time with their hands in the facemasks of the Steelers. Surely even the most brain dead of linebackers can understand that personal fouls that triple the amount of downs the opposing teams gets to be on offense will hurt your own offense in the end. The sheer number of personal fouls from both teams was painful to watch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the player being praised at the end of the first half for his amazing (and historical) interception run-back also the one punching and pushing down and out-of-play Cardinal player in the second half? Pathetic.

7. World Famous Hotwings were a hit! I watched the game w/ the GF and her family. What a great time. Oh and the game in HD is mesmerizing.

8. I had to LISTEN to the final 30 seconds of the game b/c when the GF and I got back to her place the cable was out....ugh. So via a handheld radio her dad and I sat at the kitchen table sweating out the last few seconds. It seemed more stressful when I couldn't actually see what was going on.

9. Overall a lot of fun. Next year will be the Cu...er...Bears' year!