Tuesday, May 26, 2009

An Inspiring Woman

I saw this video today and thought it was awesome. I don't watch a lot of television, so maybe this is old content (and I've found it is since I started writing this), but if you haven't seen it, I think you'll enjoy.

Susan Boyle

I like this video mostly because this woman seems more like an average Jane and not the hyped up pretty boys (and girls) that are the final stars of shows like American Idol.  But the real reason I like this video is how it highlights one of my beliefs about talent/skill/ability.  People always have arguments about who was the greatest of something of all time...greatest guitar player, or drummer, or builder, or painter.  The reality is that though many of those people who are the subject of such arguments are no doubtedly amazing there is much more undiscovered talent out there than discovered.  The greatest painter of all time is probably some dude who's artwork never left the basement.  The greatest guitar player of all time might be somebody who will never see his name in lights.  Know what I mean?

Anyway, very cool to see this today as I'm prepping for my own band practice with amazingly talented individuals.  None of us are a Susan Boyle, but we love what we do and we are thankful for our small opportunities.